Planned and Cancelled Motorway Services
While this whole website writes about motorway service stations, this page is dedicated to those that don't qualify for the main listings, either because they are still in development or they will never be built. Those with detailed information have their own pages, while others are only listed here. There are a number of categories:
Tranche 3 Service Areas
These sites were supposed to be developed by Transport Infrastructure Ireland to open in 2019. They are now postponed, and subject to a review in 2027:
- Athenry (Oranmore) (M6/M17/M18)
- Dunshaughlin (M3) - currently postponed
- Ennis (Newmarket-on-Fergus) (M18)
- As part of the M28 project, Cork County Council have suggested a HGV-only service area be built by the Ringaskiddy Roundabout.
- As part of the N21/N69 project, Limerick County Council have suggested a HGV-only service area be built on the L6188 near Foynes Junction.
- If the M11 is ever extended to Rosslare, a full service area will be needed near Wexford.
- If the N7 is upgraded to motorway, a new facility will be needed near Rathcoole, where there is already a service area.
Unlike the examples above, the following service areas have been proposed by the private sector, and are likely to secure planning permission (if not already):
This leaves the following service areas which were planned, but those plans now appear to have been formally cancelled. You can also download the list on Google Earth. As always, only sites which were likely to qualify as a motorway service area are shown here.
- Castleblayney (M1)
- Dromin Plaza (M1)
- Dunboyne (M3)
- Jigginstown (M7)
- Maudlins (M7 - former Cemex site)